When I was studying to take the test for my real estate license, a friend asked me " I know several Realtor's, how do I chose ONE?"
At the time, I believe I said " I don't know..." or something brilliant like that. But after 8 years in the business, I have some clear answers to that same question. Here are my suggestions when choosing a Realtor, whether you know them or not!
- Interview them
- Ask for references
- Ask them about their performance history
- Choose someone who you communicate well with
- Review their marketing materials
- Hire someone you have confidence in, not just because they are a friend or relative, or for that matter, not a friend or relative...
- Be honest as far as what your process is (I am interviewing 3 agents...)
Another sensitive subject... Do I chose someone who offers a discount?... Do I ask for one?
My answer to that is... probably not. My brother sold me 4 homes before I got into the business. I never asked him for a discount of any kind, because I knew that is is quite expensive running your own business and being self-employed as Realtors are. I knew this because my father was a broker for many years. We work long hard hours, and sometimes... you get what you pay for. However, just be sure this is not your driving point when deciding- as we only get paid if your house sells!
I always count it a privilege when I get the opportunity to work with people who already know, like and trust me.
BethAnn Long ~ Spokane Realtor- Coldwell Banker Tomlinson South Inc.
...there's no place like your home!